Since 2004, our Guild has had fun voting on and weaving projects for an annual weaving “challenge.” We offer up and choose a theme or topic, challenging weavers to weave something that is inspired by that year’s topic. It is completely voluntary and meant only as a fun incentive to weave something that we might not otherwise weave on our own. Since around 2009, we have made our December program the annual Show & Tell of our challenge projects. Although we encourage as many as possible to weave and present their projects at that meeting, that too is completely optional… we look forward to seeing any project, any time!
2020 Guild Challenge: Pantone® Classic Blue
For 2020, the guild membership voted to explore Pantone’s color of the year, Classic Blue. According to Pantone’s website, Classic Blue is known for “Instilling calm, confidence, and connection, this enduring blue hue highlights our desire for a dependable and stable foundation on which to build as we cross the threshold into a new era.” This year’s challenge is to weave with this trendsetting color in new and creative ways. We’ll share our creations at the December 2020 meeting.
This is not an endorsement, but here are some blue yarn and kit resources from Lunatic Fringe Yarns to help get your thoughts flowing.
(Questions? Contact Jennifer J or email us your comments or questions.)
Past Years’ Challenges
- 2020: “Classic Blue”
- 2019: “Everyday Heirlooms”
- 2018: “Texture”
- 2017: “Nothing Plain About Plain Weave”
- 2016: “Hepped on Rep”
- 2015: “Rags to Riches”: weaving with fabric strips
- 2014: “65th Anniversary” (a specific color challenge)
- 2013: “Sewing With Handwovens”
- 2012: “Fear Factor”: tackle something you haven’t dared; up the challenge with the 3Rs: reduce, reuse, recycle
- 2011: “That’s a Fiber of a Different Color!”: color interaction
- 2010: “Thrills with Twills ABC”
- 2009: “Body Language ABC*”: a wearable
- 2008: “Photo Finish”: use a photo for color inspiration
- 2007: “Initial Relativity”: use your initials for color, structure, project
- 2006: “New Yarns Resolution”: fiber never used before
- 2005: “Luck of the Draw”: card from deck and/or 2-Shaft Not Plain
- 2004: “Color: given three paint chip colors to use”